Wednesday 30 December 2009

2009 in Brief

Hi all,
Well it’s about time I typed up a new travel blog.

2009 was a pretty cool year, Apart from playing at my regular haunts, I was fortunate to support Pierre Bensusan on his Currumbin show in April . In May I played at the Melbourne guitar makers Festival and of course Sept/October I found myself back in Ireland. However I did a stopover in the Middle East and played live on Radio Bahrain with ex-pat Englishman Krazy Kev. That was a gas, I’ve never been to the Gulf region and really enjoyed myself.

In Ireland I played my usual haunts in Dingle. Played again with John Spillane and while in Clonakilty I played at Gavin Moore’s sitting room sessions at De Barra’s. I was hanging out in west cork for quite a while this time enjoying the company of Stephen Housden and friends. We all took part in the work record attempt to have the most guitars playing all at once.
It was Clon guitar fest time and got to see Richard Gilewitz play and many more...

I also enjoyed a spot at the Wexford Arts Centre, it was national culture day and it was great to be involved.

Found myself back in the village of Tinahely ,only this time watching a gig instead of playing there.

The Candle light sessions in Waterford was a great little gig too.
Played in some places I haven’t been before, Mitchelstown with Dave Murphy and co.
A nice little café/bookstore in Cloughjordan thanks to Liz who saw me on balcony TV in 2008.
Oh, not to forget another spot on Charlie Mcgettigan's radio show.

Had a nice gig in Bewley’s theatre in Grafton Street Dublin with Dan Carollo, In the middle of all this I managed to play a couple small gigs in Prague thanks to my friend Pavlina.

I played at KRÁSNÝ ZTRÁTY and also Kávovarna, I hope I got the spelling right!
I found some other great music venues also. Czeck republic is a great place.

I missed out on one gig in Galway, the venue closed down. So myself and a long time Dublin friend shot off to county Galway with some riff raff in tow and we hung on the west coast for a few days before I flew back to Australia.

All in all musically it was a pretty good year.
Apart from the last month of it , I injured my arm and could not play guitar for a while.
Still recovering but it’s allot better.

In the beginning of Jan 2010 I’ll be in Tasmania at the Cygnet Folk Festival, I was invited to play there, I have a few musical associates down there I have not seen for ages and am looking forward to saying hi.

So, from the villages and hills of Ireland to the old world streets of Prague and the blistering heat of the Middle east, I managed to fit quite allot in.

Thanks to all those who came to the gigs
Special thanks to those who got me a gig, gave me a room, cooked, looked after my CDs etc you all know who you are!
But I'll drop some first names in no particular order.... Peter, Steve,John, Helena, Ollie, Siobhan, Michael, Gavin, Ray, Scott, Ollie, Clive, Dan, Pavlina ,Jan, Donnacha, Patric, Hakan, Rob, Jiří, Ger, Liz, wow I hope I haven't forgotten anyone. Sorry if I have

It was great to see my international friends again too!!
It was good to be in town when Clive Barnes was playing and excellent to finally play with some musicians I tried to hook up with in 2008 but didn't eventuate...
A bit of a bummer to miss a few of you too.
There is a guy in Dingle who can play just about anything on guitar.

Well I’m due for a new CD, Maybe this year I will get around to it.
I’m hooked on East Europe as well now,

North and south America would be nice too?!

I registered a new website.
petermillermusic.com it just links to peter-miller.com . I did this because there are quite a few who don't know the difference between a hyphen and an underscore ;-)

Thanks to Kobya for having me play lead with the Band. It was a blast.
Japan, Yorshire, London, Africa and Australia all well presented.
Go Neil!!! Probably my last proper gig for '09. and I could test out the arm too.

And it's was cool to be on The Pick of the crop CD Vol3, thanks to Trad & Now.

Hopefully a track or two will be in Irish film 'Will's diaries'.... woohoo

Also I managed to get a track on the UK cult show 'Skins'

thanks to the gold coast music crew for filling the gaps and keeping sanity flowing ( or is it insanity)

Cheers for now
Peter


Peter Miller and John Spillane

No comments: